John McCain says he never agreed to join Ukraine’s reform council

2015/05/13

WASHINGTON, May 14. /TASS/. US Senator for Arizona, Republican party, John McCain has told BuzzFeed News he never accepted a proposal of participating in Ukraine’s council for reforms.

"I was asked to do it both by Ukraine and [former Georgian leader Mikhail] Saakashvili and I said I would be inclined to do it but I said I needed to look at all the nuances of it, whether it’s legal under our ethics and all that kind of stuff," he said.

"I of course would love do anything I can to help Ukraine, but I’ve got to make sure it’s ok under Senate rules," said McCain, who also chairs the Senate Armed Services Committee.

A decree of Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko on Wednesday listed McCain as one of eight foreign members of the council headed by Saakashvili. Several former ministers of EU countries and a European Parliament member, Jacek Emil Saryusz-Wolski, are also named as the council members.

The international council for reforms is an advisory body to the Ukrainian president.


No comments :

Post a Comment